Re: What is trip-hop?
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:27:07 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Mar 1996, chris larkin wrote:

> trip-hop is the name for slow breakbeat music, ie lazy rap, slowed down
> jungle etc. Bands like Portishead and Tricky, or even Cypress Hill. Also
> mo-wax as mentioned loads recently on this group. Seems to have replaced
> ambient as to what ravers listen to to chill out. >

And this brings up a question that, I'm sure, someone on the list can
answer. I'm not sure what "ambient" is, although I suspect that some of
the stuff I listen to might fall under this term. However, I don't have
anything that's specifically labeled ambient. I was in the store the
other day, though, and saw a CD called "journeys into ambient" something
or other with a track by Kruder & Dorfmeister. I can't recall the track
title, but it seems to have had the word "bedlam" or some such in it. I
had planned to give the CD a listen in the store to see if it was worth
getting the whole CD just to have the K&D track (which, I assume, must be
as great as their other stuff), but all three listening stations were
down. So, anyone who's familiar with this recording, preach to me, baby.